Welcome to Federal Policy Week, a blog that covers activities impacting federal policy in the areas of conservation, energy, environment, animal welfare, and natural resources. For education policy issues, please visit my new blog Fed Ed Policy.
To subscribe for Federal Policy Week enter your email address under the “Follow” label at the upper left section of the page. You will receive a verification email to confirm your subscription. Thank you!
Congressman Henry Waxman
Congressman Waxman (D-CA) announced that he plans to retire at the end of this Congress after serving 40 years in Congress. The progressive Democrat and current Ranking Member of the House Committee on Energy & Commerce lead many healthcare-related and environmental battles, often culminating in legislation. He also is a strong proponent of animal welfare issues. His accomplishments span several decades and many areas of public interest.
Congressman Waxman led or helped secure passage of several notable pieces of legislation benefiting the environment and Americans, including:
- Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990
- Safe Drinking Water Act Amendments of 1980, 1986, and 1996.
- Law Reducing Childhood Lead Exposure
- Laws Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
Several Members of the Energy Committee, including Congresswoman Eshoo (D-CA), Congressman Pallone (D-NJ), and former Democratic Chair/Ranking Member Dingell (D-MI) have all announced or alluded to a possible interest in taking over for Congressman Waxman.
With Congressman Waxman’s departure, we are losing one of America’s great environmental champions.
Congressional Hearings, Mark-Ups, Meetings & Floor Activity:
February 5, 2014:
- H.R. 3590 – Sportsmen’s Heritage & Recreational Enhancement Act of 2013
- H.R. 3964 – Sacramento-San Joaquin Valley Emergency Water Delivery Act
February 6, 2014
- H.R. 2954 – The Public Access and Lands Improvement Act
February 3, 2014:
- Convene and resume consideration of the conference report to accompany H.R.2642, the Farm bill.
Senate Energy Committee:
- Business Meeting– Nominations: Ms. Rhea S. Suh, to be Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks, Department of the Interior, and Ms. Janice M. Schneider, to be Assistant Secretary for Land and Minerals Management, Department of the Interior, February 4, 2014.
- Hearing– Forestry Legislation, February 6, 2014.
Senate EPW Committee:
- Hearing: Examination of the Safety and Security of Drinking Water Supplies Following the Central West Virginia Drinking Water Crisis, February 4, 2014.
House Natural Resources Committee:
- Hearing: Strengthening Fishing Communities and Increasing Flexibility in Fisheries Management Act, February 4, 2014.
- Hearing: Water-related Legislation, February 5, 2014.
- Hearing: BLM & Energy Production, February 5, 2014.
House Science Committee:
IN THE KNOW: EVENTS TO CONSIDER
Upcoming Events (listed by date):